Saturday, August 7, 2010

Orange Quinoa

My favorite blog just featured a recipe for quinoa salad with strawberries, tomatillos, yellow bell pepper, water chesnuts, avocado, and an orange lime dressing.

It sounded good, and I needed a new dish to put in my fridge to pack my lunches for the week, so I gave this one a shot. But instead of making the orange dressing, I cooked the quinoa in an organic orange juice concentrate which was being featured on sale at the local co-op.

The dish turned out... interesting. Let's just say I wouldn't make it again. It was a little too fruity and tart for lunch. Maybe it's because I cooked the quinoa with an entire cup of orange juice CONCENTRATE + 2 cups of water. I think the concentrate needed to be way more diluted. And the combination of strawberries with tomatillos and water chesnuts... it just wasn't a combination I was in to. And for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to throw cilantro in there. Not really. It was worth a try!

On a different note, I wanted to show pics of the frames my roommate Chelsea and I painted for our bathroom. And thank you Sarah for helping!



The blue, green, and yellow match the shower curtain. Which looks like this:
Here they are with their reflection.




And below is a picture of my friend Scottie who turned 21 today. He is holding the box of cupcakes I brought him from work. Happy birthday Scottie!




And tonight I was feeling in a very chai-y mood. So I cozied up with a Chai cupcake and hot mug of Chai tea.



There's no such thing as too much chai, clearly!

2 comments:

  1. Im so hungry that the quinoa salad sounds fantastic! Wish it was here in my fridge. Keep experimenting! Your other recipes have been delicious-and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yuuum chai tea and a chai cupcake! making me hungry and a quinoa salad is one of the things next to do on my list.... looking foward to your next recipe!

    ReplyDelete