Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Add a little umph to your oats!

My new found love for oatmeal has brought me to enjoy a hearty bowl of warm, pumpkin oats for breakfast quite often these days.

Here, my oats are topped with granny smith apple chunks, cinnamon, and shredded coconut.


The only problem is, they seem to hold me over for only a mere 2 hours max. 

I needed to find a way to give my oats some staying power, and through Holly the Healthy Everythingtarian, I learned the way.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's called adding an egg to your oatmeal.  It sounds weird, so I put off trying it for a few rounds of oatmeal, but I finally went for it and it is my new favorite thing.

The tutorial can be found here:  Banana Custard Oats.  But in short, you just put an egg in with your water, oats, and salt at the beginning of the cooking process and whisk it all together! Then let it cook and voila, you have oats that will tame your hunger for 5 hours.

Among my other recent eats, brown rice with veggies and tofu:


And the classic PB&J with raspberry jam on Great Harvest's delectable Dakota bread:


Served with none other than a cold class of milk.  A childhood favorite.  Except if this was a picture from my childhood, it would be on white bread with strawberry jam and the crusts cut off. 

How did you like your PB&J's as a kid?

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try the oats with egg and apple or banana. It might be something your dad will be able to eat in the next few months. Soft but nutritious. We are looking for high calorie, healthy foods that are soft and cool. Sounds like smoothies will be at the top of the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When are you going to make a book? These pictures are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete