Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Garlicky Bulgur Wheat

I would first like to say:  If you made or are planning to make the pumpkin banana bread from my previous post, try not to make it last more than 5 days.  Today was the 6th and final day of my loaf and... I tasted a little fermentation going on there.  Refrigerating your loaf might also prevent this.




I would also like to say that my roommates and I made roasted pumpkin seeds with sea salt, using the seeds from their pumpkins.  I decided not to carve my pumpkin this year, because I want to see how long it lasts.


However, after tasting these roasted pumpkin seeds, I am willing to carve my pumpkin so we can roast some more.

I have also been enjoying this bulk bag of whole grain cereal I found at Tidal Creek:


The bag is eco-friendly : )


And for dinner, I've been having steamed vegetables with those delicious cinnamon glazed garbanzo beans.  But it hasn't been very filling, and I realized I needed a grain to go along with it.

And sitting on my counter was a full jar of bulgur wheat.

So start with 1 cup of bulgur:


Put the bulgur in a pot with 2 cups of water and some garlic and herb seasoning.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes til the water is absorbed.


The bulgur turned out so well.  It had an almost sticky consistency, kind of like risotto, and the garlic and herb blend added wonderful flavor.

Meanwhile, I heated a blend of vegetables...


...which came from this bag from Costco.  I put a tape dispenser next to the bag in order to show its grand size.  Twenty cups of broccoli, cauliflower, orange carrots, and yellow carrots in this bag... for less than $6.  That is awesome. 



I added some of the garlicky bulgur to my plate of vegetables:


I made another batch of cinnamon glazed garbanzo beans, and when those were done toasting & roasting, I added those to the plate as well.

 

Garlicky grains with cinnamony chickpeas, you ask?  Isn't that a weird combination?  It may be.  But to me it was SO good!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! You've put so much love and effort into each entry. So healthy. I would love a plate of this creation please. : )

    ReplyDelete