Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Quinoa Pizza Crust

I have much been anticipating this year's visit to the pumpkin patch. Last year, I realized I was fond of the strange colored, odd looking pumpkins.


And last year, although I loved that grayish looking pumpkin, I refrained from taking it home and went with a traditional orange one.

This year however, I made sure I went home with one I truly loved.



And I'm very happy I did. Also at the pumpkin patch this year were these mushroom-style squashes. Didn't get one of these, but had to take a picture.



I continued to take pictures on the car ride home. My pumpkin & my roommate's pumpkin in my lap:




The lady working at the pumpkin patch informed me that one customer said they once took home a grayish pumpkin like I was buying, and it lasted for 6 months! I'll keep you updated.


Now, to cooking. I made something delicious: A personal pizza with a quinoa crust. I got the recipe from one of my three favorite blogs:

http://peasandthankyou.com/2009/10/26/a-day-with-a-peel/

I cooked the quinoa with some garlic, then combined the cooked quinoa with some oregano, basil, nutritional yeast, wheat germ, water, and salt. The recipe called for ground flaxseed instead of wheat germ, but I used what I had on hand.



I grated an organic zucchini for my topping.




And baked my crust in the oven. I think I needed to make it thinner. It didn't get crispy all the way through, so I tried to flip it, and then this happened:


It's not pretty, but hey, it happens.

I topped it with tomato sauce and grated zucchini. I must say, the crust was packed with flavor! This is the first time I've really liked quinoa. I initially made this recipe to get rid of the last of my quinoa, but ended up loving it and wanting to make it again.



And to close, I leave with you with a photo of our family of pumpkins.


3 comments:

  1. Who needs Domino's when you've got it home made like that, yummy AND 10X more healthy.
    It reminds me of fried green tomatoes somehow! Mmmmm..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loove the gray pumpkin you brought home... much more fun than the traditional orange! i love homemade pizzas like this... i made a crust once from zucchini but i bet the quinoa had a wonderful consistency! I plan on trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pumpkins and love your un-traditional pizza!! So creative! I want it.

    ReplyDelete