Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pumpkin Oatmeal and Cinnamon Garbanzo Fig Salad


Two wondrous recipes in this post!

Remember when I tried to make overnight pumpkin oats and I ate them cold, didn't like them, and turned them into oatcakes?

Well I was telling my friend Stefanie about that, and asking her how she likes to make her oatmeal, and then decided that I needed to try it hot.  Then she looked a little stunned and said, "You eat it cold?? Well that's the problem!"

That confirmed it.

One of my favorite blogs made this hot oatmeal with butternut squash puree, so I tried it out with pumpkin puree.


Hot Pumpkin Oatmeal
1/2 cup oats
1 cup water
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup chopped apple
Sprinkling of cinnamon and salt


Add oats to salted boiling water, 1:2 oats to water ratio.


Let simmer for 15 minutes.


Warm up some pumpkin puree.  Chop up some apple.


Stir a tablespoon of coconut oil into hot oats and watch it melty-melt.


Stir in the pumpkin puree, add the crisp chunks of apple, and sprinkle with cinnamon.


And enjoy the warm, melty goodness!

And now for recipe #2.
The salad recipe originated from my effort to use up my leftover ingredients.  But then I loved it and now I need to buy more romaine.


Cinnamon Garbanzo Fig Salad
-2 cups romaine, or spinach if you please
-1/2 chopped apple
-4 dried figs, chopped
-1/4 cup dried cherries
-chopped pecans
-cinnamon glazed roasted garbanzo beans
-balsamic vinegar & feta dressing


Chop it all up...


Toss the garbanzos on there...


Mix in the dressings...

 

Stir it all together and enjoy the fresh crispness!  Great lunch for taking to work!

4 comments:

  1. Holy MAMA scrump-diddly-umptious!

    The crunch of the apple with the hot melty yummness of oats and punkin. You are an OctoberFest Goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pumpkin oatmeal looks so yummy and healthy. Can we have it when I visit as Christmas? I wonder how it would be with my fave Pink Lady apples?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty - Most definitely. I will make it for you every morning and with your fave Pink Lady apples for sure. You will love it!!

    ReplyDelete