Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bake-fest


Above are the festive dish towels currently in the kitchen, courtesy of my roommate's mom. I love them.

So, the pumpkin oats? I made them! Unfortunately I did not like them. I think because of the mushy texture. So this morning I made them into pancakes.



Topped with a dollop of greek yogurt. Much better!

And now, a tribute to my bake-fest with my sister. First of all, upon my arrival home, I was greeted by Laura with a glass of iced almond milk coffee.



With our early-evening coffees at hand, we began to prep for dinner. Check out this vibrant tomato Laura got at a farmer's market.



Our mom made a fantastic mushroom risotto with butternut squash.



And Laura and I baked... rather, formed, a sort of no-bake chocolate cake using dates, hazelnuts, almonds, and cocoa powder.

Into the food processor they went:




And then we mushed it into a cake:


And sprinkled it with coconut:



And the final product was this:


My mom and Laura weren't that fond of it, but I loved it! It tasted just like nutella. Like a fudgy nutella cake.

And the baking continued. We needed to make something fall-y! Pumpkin carrot muffins:


We used this recipe: http://www.dailyunadventuresincooking.com/2009/01/pumpkin-carrot-muffins.html
...but used chopped pecans instead of sunflower seeds.



They turned out great! But did the baking continue? Yes.



We made Nikki's Healthy Cookies (http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/nikkis-healthy-cookies-recipe.html) but this time with a Fall twist. We added pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice to the mix!

And it yielded our best batch yet.



With Ghiradelli chocolate chips.

4 comments:

  1. LOOOOOOVE THIS ONE!! Love the pics of my sisters and all the beautiful food to of course! My mouth is salivating....yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just spread a layer of cream cheese in the center of the muffin and that was delightful. I love this blog. I can't wait to see what's next! Keep us updated if you find out how to improve the texture of the pumpkin oat cakes!
    <3
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous food fest we had! And my, what nice dishes! But tell me, what the heck are "pumpkin oats"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I should have put my recipe on this post. Into a bowl went raw oats, pumpkin puree, raisins, pumpkin pie spice, peanut butter, and brown sugar. That bowl went into the fridge over night, and in the morning, I had pumpkin oats. To make the oatcakes, I just put a few tablespoons of the overnight oats onto a frying pan and cooked them into pancakes!

    ReplyDelete